Roe Rovers claim win over Churchill

Thursday, 12 January 2017

Roe Rovers claim win over Churchill thumbnailRoe Rovers Sean McKinney in action during the win over Churchill on Saturday.

ROE ROVERS................................3 CHURCHILL........................................1

ROE Rovers got back to League action in 2017 with a hard fought home win over a much improved Churchill at Scroggy Road. Indeed it was the visitors who drew first blood as early as the 12th minute when a sloppy pass from Finbar O'Brien to the right winger allowed him to cross into the box. The cross deceived everyone and sailed over Eoghan McLaughlin's head and hit the back post and over the line.
If Churchill's lead was a lucky goal then Rover's equaliser was even more so. It took only a minute for Churchill to throw away their lead.
A back pass to the keeper was too firmly hit and the keeper slipped as he tried to adjust himself, leaving young Jack McGonigle his easiest ever goal to tap the ball over the line into the empty net for his 40th goal for the club in only 78 games, a terrific ratio for such a young player.
Rovers pushed on from this and Dillon Moore, who had another fine game, almost gave Rovers the lead five minutes later when he made a determined late run and headed against the post. Rovers played a lot of good possession football for the rest of the half with Sean McKinney running the show in midfield but rarely created chances of note.
Dillon Moore had the best of these when he slid onto a Brendan McGonigle low centre and his studs nudged the ball just the wrong side of the post.
Any attacks of note where quickly snuffed out by the impressive young Kyle Miller and experienced Tommy Hassan at the back and they where protected by an energetic performance from skipper Matty Hamilton who was back to his best after a dip in form before Christmas.
Darell Mulgrew had the only other good chance as Kyle Eakin crafted an opening and Hamilon laid of on the edge of the box but Mulgrew forced over. Half time: 1-1.
No repeat
Rovers defeated Churchill 7-1 earlier in the season when the Waterside men collapsed second half but there was to be no repeat of that as the visitors battled right to the end.


Subscribe to read full newspaper »

Send to a friend

Please complete the following form to inform a friend about this page.

In order to process your information we must ask you to enter the letters in the image into the box:

CAPTCHA Image play audio version Reload Image

* Mandatory field - please complete