Three Derry players figure in Ulster Inter-Provincial success

Thursday, 22 December 2016

Three Derry players figure in Ulster Inter-Provincial success thumbnailSlaughtneil star Brendan Rodgers was one of three Derry players - and two from the county and provincial champions - on the winning side as Ulster defeated Connacht to win the Inter-Provincial series at the weekend.

Ulster................2-16 Connaught..............3-10

THREE Derry players figured in Ulster's 32nd success in the Inter-Provincial series at Carrick-on-Shannon, Co Leitrim on Saturday but Chrissy McKaigue only briefly.
The Slaughtneil star came on as a 30th minute sub and was sent off on a black card just three minutes later. He was replaced by fellow club player Brendan Rogers. Greenlough's Enda Lynn scored three points as Ulster came back strongly in the second half.
Tyrone's Peter Harte was the star man once again for Ulster who reclaimed the GAA Inter-Provincial football title with victory over Connacht at Páirc Seán Mac Diarmada.
Last year's competition was cancelled due to Storm Desmond but Connacht won the 2014 renewal when they got the better of Ulster in Tuam.
However on this occasion, Pete McGrath's men took control of the game in the second-half and despite a black card for Chrissy McKaigue, after they trailed by 3-06 to 1-10 at half-time, Ulster fought back.
Ciaran Murtagh (two) and Damien Comer scored goals for Connacht but Aidan Breen and Charlie Vernon cancelled them out. And it was the Ulster man Harte who kicked five points to ease them to their first title since 2013 and Ulster's 32nd in all.
Ulster remain top of the charts in the Inter-Provincial competition but it was reigning champions Connacht who were two points in front at the break after a brilliant attacking display before the half-time whistle.
But their defence coped brilliantly too and outside of the pin-point free-taking of Peter Harte, Ulster were bereft of opportunities.
Wing-back Breen found the net but that was cancelled out by two Ciaran Murtagh strikes and one from Comer.
Connacht were impressive in their 2-17 to 1-18 semi-final win against Leinster and they began well again here.
Early points from Ciaran Murtagh and Danny Cummins put them on track, while Harte got Ulster going in the fifth minute.
But Murtagh scored his first goal in the eighth minute after a pass from Niall Murphy. And the same two combined three minutes later as Murtagh gave Connacht a 2-03 to 0-03 lead.


Subscribe to read full newspaper »

Send to a friend

Please complete the following form to inform a friend about this page.

In order to process your information we must ask you to enter the letters in the image into the box:

CAPTCHA Image play audio version Reload Image

* Mandatory field - please complete